We know many reasons to plan a getaway to the Finger Lakes, NY, but you might not. So we took the time to gather 5 reasons that just might convince you why your next short trip should be to this popular upstate New York destination.
1) Finger Lakes Wine Region – voted “the most beautiful wine country destination in the world” in the 2010 Budget Travelers Reader’s Choice poll. Want an exciting adventure tasting award winning wines in an unpretentious atmosphere alongside pristine lakes and rolling hills? Come taste why our local wineries are truly coming into their own in competitions with the world’s best.
2) Relaxed and Friendly Atmosphere – get away from your reality and take a break from responsibilities. Clear your mind and recall what relaxing feels like. Downtime. Remember that? Read for pleasure, see a movie, take a nap, and chat with other visitors over a splendid breakfast at a Finger Lakes Bed and Breakfast. Reconnect with your precious one. You will return home refreshed, renewed and quite possibly with a big smile on your face.
3) Unrivaled Scenic Beauty and Waterfalls – when is the last time you were surrounded with more trees and grass than buildings and pavement? Or listened to the captivating sounds of a waterfall and birds singing rather than traffic and sirens? In the countryside of the Finger Lakes you can breathe in clean fresh air scented with nature, not exhaust. The nighttime sky twinkles with a million stars unobscurred by city lights.
4) Good for the Body, Good for the Soul – You may choose to take a leisurely stroll down our country roads, hike down the wide path to Taughannock Falls or rise to the challenge of the gorge trails through Robert Treman or Watkins Glen State Parks. You could rent kayaks and paddle out on Cayuga Lake or bike along scenic back roads. Maybe shopping or antiquing is more your style. Any way you choose to put the body in motion, you will reap benefits for the soul as well as a good night’s sleep from a Finger Lakes getaway.
5) Great Food – did you know that the Ithaca area has more restaurants per capita than NYC? We have casual dining, upscale dining, ethnic choices and everything in between. Many of our unique chef-owned restaurants feature locavore (locally farmed and grown organic ingredients and meats) with menus that change often to incorporate what is fresh and in season. And Ithaca’s progressive culture pays attention to dietary preferences such as vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free dining options. The world-renowned Moosewood Restaurant is located in the heart of downtown Ithaca.
Isn’t it time you discovered how close you live to the enchantment of the Finger Lakes? It took me 40 years to find it, but once I did, we made it our home and I never want to leave.